1. I had a clear picture in my head of what I wanted this illustration to look like, so after a few thumbnails, I completed and scanned a finished drawing. Cleaning it up a bit in photoshop led to this:
2. Next, I colored in all the shapes. I wanted to try out using some brushes for texture. I like the effect in some areas (the computer looks a bit like I used watercolor) but not others (the table looks a bit silly).
3. I wasn’t really happy with how the illustration was looking, and spent some time working on photoshop to see if I could come out with something I liked.
4. Nope. I just didn’t like it! I like the sketch, and the idea, but the basic coloring job is not working for me. So, I brought the sketch into Illustrator so I could start the coloring from scratch.
5. Here’s where I am now. The basic shapes have all been created in Illustrator, and I’m currently editing the line drawing, whittling it down to just the lines that need to be there. Next, I’ll go back into Illustrator to play with the colors a bit more. Come back later for the final piece!